Sadly, this morning’s forecast is working as anticipated.
what is going on now
- The decrease elevations of northwestern Oregon and southwestern Washington are plagued with chills, with sub-zero temperatures all over the place inland from the shoreline.
- Complete shoreline rises under freezing
- The Cascades are warming quickly, and even Authorities Camp will heat to about 40 levels within the subsequent few hours. Santiam Go jumped from 20 to 40 between 6-7am. The chilly is shallow. Silver Falls State Park is in his mid-40s at 1,600 ft elevation.
- Roads are lined with glaze ice in most metro areas.
- Freezing drizzles and showers roam the realm
A metro space surrounded by chilly air
This setting continues till the night when the bathe tapers off. Tonight ought to be principally dry, excluding areas with a freezing drizzle.
The acute jap winds within the western canyon and metropolitan space final night time and this morning had been stronger than ever earlier than. Troutdale Airport surpassed her fifty, which is uncommon. At Corbett he sees gusts of 88 levels, which I feel is the best within the final 15 years.
Yesterday my Vista Home wind sensor went off. I imply, it actually simply ripped off the constructing. You possibly can see that the noticed worth instantly turns into zero. RIP
- All areas from Salem to Longview (together with the Metro space) will stay icebound till dawn on Saturday
- Daytime temperatures are nicely above freezing all over the place apart from areas east of Interstate 205 to the Columbia River Gorge and simply north of the Columbia River to across the Powell/Foster Highway.This would be the final place to unzip…most likely after 3pm
- Warming will probably be dramatic within the Valley, West Metro, South Metro, and South Washington tomorrow from noon to afternoon. A southerly wind can leap the place from 32 levels to 55 levels in an hour or so. Highway situations ought to be significantly better in these areas in the direction of the tip of the day and on Christmas Eve (after sundown).
- This implies most of the metropolitan areas will finish with an ice storm tomorrow at midday/pm
- Average to heavy rain tomorrow morning via late afternoon. The result’s the heaviest ice glazing thus far in areas which are nonetheless frozen. It is most likely the central/east subway and it is in a canyon. However even in these areas, temperatures ought to be above freezing sooner or later Saturday night time. Assume the roads are frozen all night time tomorrow night time.
- Lastly, gentle showers are anticipated on Sunday, with temperatures anticipated to hover above freezing all through the day. Chilly easterly winds have returned, however temperatures are excessive sufficient to keep away from freezing rain
- The Columbia River Gorge will stay frozen east of Troutdale till Sunday, when the thaw begins (slowly) on Monday.
The following 24 hours are the climate mannequin’s crunch time. They’re pushing hotter air into tomorrow, and most of the people assume we’ll have freezing temperatures throughout the metropolitan space by late tonight. it isn’t taking placeSo long as the east present from the canyon continues, we are going to stay frozen. Right here is an instance. GRAF brief vary mannequin thinks freezing temperatures in Portland by tonight
The Euro has been very relentless in pushing southwards into metropolitan areas by midday or early afternoon tomorrow. By 4pm there’s a southerly gradient of about 4 mbar from Eugene to Olympia. It could possibly take the chilly out of the subway. It is going to be fairly a battle between the receding chilly air plenty and the surging southerly winds, however I am conservative and do not assume it should occur till the night on the jap subway. We’re assuming. So we’re predicting a good bit of freezing jap metro tomorrow.
As luck would have it, it is right. If that’s the case, who would complain that it obtained hotter “quicker”? Slightly Christmas miracle may occur tomorrow night time within the type of hotter temperatures and southerly winds!
It airs tonight at 12pm, 4pm, 5pm, 6pm, 8pm, 9pm, 10pm and 11pm.
Copyright 2022 KPTV-KPDX. All rights reserved.