Highways in Southern and Western Minnesota have been closed. Sustained 40 mph winds with 51 mph gusts blew fluffy snow right into a raging blizzard, typically decreasing visibility from lower than 1 / 4 mile to close zero for her.
Additionally, hurricane-force gusts of wind exceeding 70 mph alongside the North Shore knocked down timber in and across the Grand Marais and wreaked havoc on the climate.
Snowstorm warnings are in impact for a lot of japanese Dakota, western and southern Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan by 6 a.m. Saturday.
URGENT – WINTER WEATHER MESSAGES Nationwide Climate Service Twin Cities/Chanhassen MN 128 PM CST Fri Dec 23 2022 …GROUND BLIZZARD and DANGEROUSLY COLD CONTINUSIONS ROUGH SATURDAY MORNING INTO SOUTH CENTRAL MINNESOTA… …TODAY TO SATURDAY TRAVEL MORNING is inconceivable and doubtlessly life threatening…
Harmful blizzard circumstances proceed throughout Midwest and Midsouth Minnesota. Widespread gusts of 35 to 45 miles per hour have induced important snowstorms and snow drifts, and plenty of counties are actually clearing plows from roads in these counties. Blowing snow from central and japanese central Minnesota to western Wisconsin with 30 to 40 mph wind gusts creates hazardous journey circumstances, however not blizzard circumstances.
This occasion might be life threatening if you’re caught in wind chill within the minus 30 to 45 levels vary. Keep away from touring, particularly throughout heavy snow warnings. Additionally, snow left on timber from earlier storms and powerful winds may cause tree harm and energy outages when temperatures drop under freezing.
Consists of the cities of Morris, Glenwood, Madison, Benson, Montevideo, Wilmar, Granite Falls, Olivia, Redwood Falls, New Ulm, St. James and Fairmont
128 PM CST Fri Dec 23 2022 …blizzard warning in impact till 6am CST Saturday… …wind chill warning in impact till midday Saturday CST…
* WHAT… blizzard warning, in case of blizzard circumstances. Winds are blowing at 50 mph. As for the wind chill alarm, the wind is blowing dangerously chilly. The wind chills right down to 40 levels under zero.
* WHERE… Central, South Central, Southwest, and elements of West Central Minnesota.
* When…by 6am CST on Saturday for blizzard warnings. As for the wind chill warning, he’ll be right here by midday CST on Saturday.
* Impression… Extreme snowstorms can considerably scale back visibility. A gust of wind can knock over tree branches. Dangerously chilly wind chill may cause frostbite on uncovered pores and skin in simply 10 minutes.
Precautions/preparedness actions… Journey ought to be restricted to emergencies solely. Should you should journey, carry your winter survival package. Should you get caught, keep in your automotive. Keep away from outside actions if potential. All the time put on applicable clothes, a hat, and gloves when outdoors. You will get the most recent highway circumstances within the state you might be calling by calling 5 1 1. You may as well examine highway circumstances at 511mn.org for Minnesota and 511wi.gov for Wisconsin.
A winter climate advisory and chilly climate warning are in impact for the Twin Cities and far of the area.
Consists of the cities of Minneapolis, Blaine, St. Paul, and Stillwater
Earlier than you proceed studying, please take a second to donate to MPR Information. Your monetary backing ensures that factual and authoritative information and context are accessible to all.
128 PM CST Fri Dec 23 2022
…winter climate warning in impact till 6:00 am Saturday… …wind and chilly warning in impact till midday Saturday… …winter storm warning has been lifted. ..
* For WHAT…Wind Chill Advisory, it is a very chilly wind chill. The wind chills right down to minus 35 levels. Winter climate advisory for blizzard. The wind is blowing 40mph.
* WHERE… Hennepin, Anoka, Ramsey, and Washington counties.
* When…Midday Saturday CST for Wind Chill Advisory. Winter climate data by 6am CST on Saturday.
* Impression… Extreme snowstorms can considerably scale back visibility. Chilly wind chill may cause frostbite on uncovered pores and skin in as little as half-hour.
This storm is just not over.
Journey correctly and safely as we transfer from night time to Saturday morning.Journey circumstances stay very troublesome on Saturday till winds subside within the afternoon and highway crews clear the roads.
Climate will enhance from Saturday afternoon by Sunday midday.
The Clipper system will see snow on Sunday afternoon and Sunday night time. NOAA’s NAM 3 km mannequin tracks the system from midday Sunday to midnight Monday.
The heaviest snowfall will favor southwestern Minnesota, however the Twin Cities are prone to see some snow cowl. It is early, however the mannequin suggests one other arable occasion is feasible.
Minnesota, keep protected this weekend.